Export from BrainStorm to PowerPoint

tips and hints on using BrainStorm with other programs

Moderators: david, OG, Galen

david
Staff

Export from BrainStorm to PowerPoint

Post by david » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:52 am

To create an outline which PowerPoint will understand, create a list of slide titles separated by a blank entry. 'Promote' each slide title and add the detail at lower level(s)

At the top level, select all the slide titles and blank entries. Then Write to a file with 'Use tabs instead and 'Only output selected entries' selected.

Open PowerPoint and choose File open, Files of type "All outlines", and point at the file you just created.
David Tebbutt

Greg Pfister
Registered member

Post by Greg Pfister » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:41 pm

I just tried this with Powerpoint from Office XP, SP3. It didn't work, and I asked why here.

Well, I've figured it out. Things I did wrong:

(a) You do have to write a .txt file. I was trying to get PowerPoint to understand a .brn file, which it doesn't do.

(b) You really do have to only write selected entries. (Did that wrong a few times, too.) If you don't, the root becomes the title of the single slide you get. Silly Powerpoint.

Anyway, I've now got it under control, and I could wish there were as simple a way to import into Word. But that's for the WIBNI forum.

Thanks for a simple, useful product.
Greg Pfister

david
Staff

Post by david » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:31 pm

Hello Greg.

Yes, with Write you can call a file what you like. TXT is fine. .brn is reserved for BrainStorm's proprietary (sorry!) format. We'll get to XML one day, honest.

You can export to Word.

http://www.brainstormsw.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=175

Whether this is seen as 'simple' is another matter. It works though.

You can also Write to the clipboard and just paste into Word. That's not very smart though.
David Tebbutt

kate
Registered member

Re: Export from BrainStorm to PowerPoint

Post by kate » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:07 am

I am a new member of this community. I came here to learn something new from all of you and to share everything that I know.
kate