Global MagicLaunch, MagicWords

tips and hints on using BrainStorm with other programs

Moderators: david, OG, Galen

billcauley
Registered member

Flashpaste Pro

Post by billcauley » Tue May 16, 2006 9:57 am

Jack:

Thanks for the info about Flashpaste. I have it running along with the companions - Flashnote and Diary, and they are a welcome addition to my other main tools; Activewords, Chronos, Powerdesk, and Desknotes. [Flashpaste replaces an older program that I'd been using called QuickPaste.]

I've just about run out of key combinations though; some have superseded keystrokes in my main word processor - WordPerfect 12, but I can live with it.

Do you think that we'll eventually have all these things working under one program?

Bill

alx
Insider

Post by alx » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:23 pm

alx wrote:Thanks for the heads-up on SlickRun; I think it's brilliant, especially since I prefer to work with the keyboard but don't want to remember shortcut keys. In addition, the way SlickRun works means that I can easily replicate my MagicWord definitions to all computers I work with.
Just a note of caution; apparently SlickRun doesn't provide a proper startup path for programs; i.e. I tested a windows shortcut and a SlickRun Magic Word with the same parameters but the Magic Word worked just like a shortcut without the startup path.

The workaround is to create a Magic Word for the shortcut itself, by going to the program's startup folder and copying the whole path; don't set an extension for the shortcut filename. I.e. for Brainstorm it would be "C:\Documents and Settings\user\Start Menu\Programs\BrainStorm\BrainStorm"

alx

jack111
Insider

I'm not having the problem you described

Post by jack111 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:01 am

8) I'm not having that problem with SlickRun. I've used it for months. It seems that they have even upgraded it a couple time since I started using it. What follows is my MagicWord entry for BrainStorm:

MagicWord: BRAINSTORM
Filename: E:\BrainStorm\Brain.exe
Path:
Parameters:
Notes:

Their forum has had big time spam problems & is temp gone; but, you can ask support questions directly to e_lawrence@hotmail.com

Their website has extra tools and Magic Word packages

Bayden Systems - SlickRun
http://www.bayden.com/SlickRun/

alx
Insider

Post by alx » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:38 pm

Jack thanks,

I also have been a happy SlickRun user since I tried it, but a couple of days ago I realised that Sycon's IDEA! --an information manager that I regularly use for my work- didn't operate as it was supposed to. Through their support I cornered the fault to the SlickRun Magic Word I use to launch IDEA!

Indeed, all worked well if I launched the program through its normal shortcut; interestingly, the parameters (target, path) were exactly the same, i.e. copy/pasted from the shortcut to the MagicWord.

Your post prompted me to give it another try; I now know what the exact issue is: SlickRun apparently doesn't need --actually it dislikes- quotes around paths --something that Windows shortcuts require for paths including spaces.

I removed the quotes and all is well.

Thanks again,
alx

P.S. Incidentally, Sycon's support was provided via phone and PC Visit ( http://www.pcvisit.de/index.php?id=72&L=1 ), an absolutely brilliantly effective way to show your PC screen to a technician. The whole session was finished in less than ten minutes, during which they found what the trouble was on two separate issues, uploaded me a patch and tested its success.