Export from BrainStorm to other programs

tips and hints on using BrainStorm with other programs

Moderators: david, OG, Galen

david
Staff

Export from BrainStorm to other programs

Post by david » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:12 am

Write using tabs or spaces to the clipboard for an easy way to transfer part or all of a BrainStorm model to another program.

If you use the 'Use tabs instead' option, the information is ready for pasting directly into outliners such as Natara's Bonsai or graphical mind-mapping programs such as FreeMind or MindManager X5.
David Tebbutt

talazem
Registered member

exporting to NoteMap

Post by talazem » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:52 am

I am trying to paste my outline into CaseSoft's NoteMap 2, but it hasn't worked. If i simply copy the outline contents in BrainStorm, and then paste into NoteMap, the information carries through but is flat (all of it is one level); if i try to export from BS using "Write to Text File", and then paste it into NoteMap, NoteMap chokes, or crahses...either way, nothing carries over.

Any help?

david
Staff

Post by david » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:25 am

From what I hear, NoteMap is tolerant of an incoming outline.

I would Write a tabbed outline to the clipboard then open NoteMap and paste.

If that doesn't work, try using spaces instead of tabs as the indent in the Write command.

If paste is no good, Write an actual file and try importing or opening that in NoteMap.
David Tebbutt

isinger
Registered member

Exporting to NoteMap

Post by isinger » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:34 am

Using "Write text file" (tabbed output, to clipboard) and then pasting into NoteMap works, with one twist.

If you paste into the title line of the NoteMap file, then yes, NoteMap does choke or crash.

If (assuming you are working with a new NoteMap file) you hit Enter once, to create a subordinate item, and then paste, you should get properly indented text.

Hope that helps.

david
Staff

Post by david » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:40 am

Wonderful. Thanks.
David Tebbutt

tbeek
Registered member

Post by tbeek » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:34 am

Ecco Pro 4 has textimport and -export. Download at ftp://ftp.netmanage.com/support/pub/uti ... 01/Ecco32/. Introduction on http://www.eccorocks.com/. Ecco uniquely has columns, different views, smart folders (they call it auto-assigning folders), PIM capacities, etc.

Ecco even has some sort of html-output with a helperprogram that mimics the way the outline works in (expanding and collapsing).

I mainly use Ecco together with Brainstorm, because the search in Ecco is better and smarter. This means searching with more than 1 searchterm and still seeing a lot of the context. Ecco misses the namesakefunctionality and the HTML(model)export and the Wordexport. I can have some sort of hoisting in Ecco through use of the columns and views, but you have to do more than in Brainstorm.

It is free, very old and is still very beloved by a lot of people. See http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eccopro/.