IE Favourites

tips and hints on using BrainStorm with other programs

Moderators: david, OG, Galen

honwahp
Registered member

IE Favourites

Post by honwahp » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:07 am

I wonder if there is a way to transfer Internet Explorer favourites into brainstorm. In that case I can use brainstorm as a url manager (and launcher, of course)

david
Staff

Re: IE Favourites

Post by david » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:50 am

Sorry about the delay responding - I've been away from computers for 24 hours!! (This is rare.)
honwahp wrote:I wonder if there is a way to transfer Internet Explorer favourites into brainstorm. In that case I can use brainstorm as a url manager (and launcher, of course)
Well, I have just spent a couple of hours looking. I downloaded some bookmark managers with export capabilities, but then I thought that it seemed silly to buy a powerful organiser program - you may as well use that.

So I don't have any idea. Maybe as this community grows (there are 57 of us at the moment), someone will pop up with a solution.
David Tebbutt

ColinJ
Registered member

Post by ColinJ » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:58 pm

I don't use I.E. (I normally use Opera) but seemed to remember an export function for bookmarks. I went to check... sure enough if you go to File, Import and Export, you can call up the 'Import/Export Wizard' and use that to save your favourites* to an html file which you can then load into BrainStorm. The resulting file looks rather strange but I'm sure that you could tidy it up manually. I managed to launch my old favourites* from I.E. into Opera this way.

It might seem a silly question, but what is wrong with just using the bookmarks directly from I.E. in the first place?

*apparently, in U.S. = favorites!

david
Staff

Post by david » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:59 pm

Yes, I looked at that too. There was so much junk in it, I thought cleaning it might prove difficult.

Having said that, I use TextPad and it has a search/replace based on regular expressions.

Maybe try searching for regex or "regular expression" and favorites and "internet explorer"

Which would be my next move if I weren't so tired.
David Tebbutt

alx
Insider

Post by alx » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:25 am

Firefox can import IE bookmarks and also export them to HTML; the question is, how do you get a full page of links (as is the export file) where the actual addresses are not shown, into Brainstorm, perhaps with the help of Magic Paste?

Perhaps one of Firefox's extensions could help; the list is huge, unfortunately:
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/? ... on=firefox

but they are all free and some of them are really useful.

alx

david
Staff

Post by david » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:30 am

A number of conversion utilities exist for exchanging bookmarks (favorites) between major browsers.

I used a freeware program called Booky. If you make a lot of use of it, the author has a tip jar. (Hint hint)

http://www.yoursurfice.com/Content/Booky/Booky.htm

Converting from Internet Explorer to an Opera .adr file is the cleanest in terms of readability. It's plain text.

Here are a couple of sample entries:

#FOLDER
NAME=TRIZ
CREATED=0
VISITED=0
EXPANDED=NO
DESCRIPTION=
SHORT NAME=

#URL
NAME=Prism Magazine - Summer 2004 - Expanding the Mind
URL=http://www.prism-magazine.org/may04/mind.cfm
CREATED=0
VISITED=0
DESCRIPTION=
SHORT NAME=

Some have additional fields but it is a simple matter to strip out the unwanted lines and prefixes.

To create a hierarchy of what's left, you might want do something like this:

Replace [CRLF][Tab]URL= with [space][colon][space] or something

Replace #URL[CRLF][Tab]NAME= with [Tab]

Replace #FOLDER[CRLF][Tab]NAME= with nothing.

Go into BrainStorm, Create a new model and go to Options/Preferences/Editing options/Smart paste and check (only) 'Use indents to create descendants'. Click on OK then OK to return to your model.

Make sure the dot icon is selected.

Go to your edited bookmarks file, select all and copy (usually ctrl+c).

Go to BrainStorm and paste.
David Tebbutt

jack111
Insider

Via PowerMarks

Post by jack111 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:08 am

I just played around with a bookmark manager I've been using for quite awhile called PowerMarks available from www.kaylon.com Free to try.

With PowerMarks which works with all major browers you can export to Rich Text which is real neat format for coming into Brainstorm.

The export of each favorite or bookmark gives 3 lines of text: title, url, and key words.

May be this conversations should be over in the "Using with other Programs" topic.

Is there a trick to linking forum topic? Whose the traffic cop here?

david
Staff

Post by david » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:27 am

I'm the traffic cop. But I've not been on my induction course yet. What's traffic? What's a cop?

Um, lemme look at the manual...

Right. It should move soon and leave a shadow topic.
David Tebbutt

david
Staff

Topic moved from wish list

Post by david » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:29 am

Yep. The topic is in its new home. There's a relic in the wish list forum.
David Tebbutt