Brainstorm as a "NoteTaker"

Ways of getting BrainStorm to do unexpected or interesting things

Moderators: david, OG, Galen

halh
Registered member

Brainstorm as a "NoteTaker"

Post by halh » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:18 pm

In the process of assemblying a number of two hour lectures, 1/week, on completely unrelated topics, I became quite addicted to Brainstorm. I needed to come up to speed quickly in one area, and watched about 8 hours of on-line videos, some of which had accompanying pdf files of the slides used. I used Brainstorm to take notes during the film, setting a new entry each time a different slide was presented. I could capture different thoughts within a slide with Shift Enter, and subsequently split those topics, if needed.

(A while ago, I'd suggested that it would be great if Brainstorm could "stay on top" in a window. I yielded to David's suggestion to use Alt Tab to switch between windows.) Switching windows was too distracting for this use. In this instance, I had to compress the film and Brainstorm windows so they were side by side on the screen. This was a littlle awkward for viewing the film, sacrificing some control since the "buttons" were compressed, but since Brainstorm works magnificently when "small" for notetaking, I soon adapted. (I'd still like to see a "stay on top" command for Brainstorm.)

david
Staff

Post by david » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:10 pm

Thanks for writing. We'll make sure your 'always on top' request is in the WIBNI file. I'll actually talk to Marck about it today, see what might be involved.

Wouldn't it blot out the film?

WIBNI=Wouldn't It Be Nice If
David Tebbutt

Marck
Staff

Post by Marck » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:08 am

It is perfectly feasible to add a stay-on-top function to BrainStorm. I'd also quite like to add to that "Minimize to tray" and "Minimize on Magic Paste" switches as a part of that particular round of enhancements.
iviarck

halh
Registered member

Brainstorm as a "Notetaker"

Post by halh » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:18 am

>Wouldn't it blot out the film? (if Always on Top)

The films were in Breeze format, but this works even with Windows Media Player and Quicktime, if I don't make enlarge the film to full screen.