Setting up an annotated Reference List

Ways of getting BrainStorm to do unexpected or interesting things

Moderators: david, OG, Galen

halh
Registered member

Setting up an annotated Reference List

Post by halh » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:43 pm

I usually set up a Reference section under a major topic heading, when I prepare a talk. I use Brainstorm to plan the talk, then to capture web site URLs and add comments. While the URL is on the Clipboard, (I use Clipmate 7.0), I paste the URL to the outline and to the Reference section as well. The latter is displayed in a separate Brainstorm window or within the major outline. I immediately Shift Enter, in the Reference Section to annotate the reference. Subsequent reordering of the Reference list by topic is easy. This allows me to keep my focus on the brainstorming function, while "mechanically" setting up the Reference List.

I haven't explored the power of the "namesake" function yet. The Shift Enter followed by the annotation precludes the namesake icon from appearing as the two citations are different.

david
Staff

Post by david » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:07 pm

If you wanted the remaining notes to be replicated you could complete the entry in the reference section, then promote it, then start your note-taking. This would keep everything together and the heading of the reference entries would be namesaked to the 'outline'. Promote either and you would see the shared notes.
David Tebbutt