Use of color to indicate citation

Ways of getting BrainStorm to do unexpected or interesting things

Moderators: david, OG, Galen

halh
Registered member

Use of color to indicate citation

Post by halh » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:23 pm

This may be a trivial suggestion, others may already be doing this, but it has made a tedious project, "fly by".

I find myself integrating three texts that cover similar topics. (Typically I'm excerpting many WEB articles/reference). I enter key concepts from each text in a different color. I proceed through the first text, entering the model in black, repeat the process with the second text, using orange for the text entry. Similarly, blue for the third text. I outlined the concepts from each text in succession under a header that listed the complete citation:

Text 1, Author, date (black)
concept 1
concept 2

Text 2 Author, date (orange)
concept 1
concept 2

Text 3, Author, date (blue)
concept 1
concept 2

Now I can integrate similar issues into one coherent model (integrate by copying Text 2, 3 entries into Text 1) which incorporates the various views expressed by the different authors. The consistent color set/text citation allows me to immediately give correct annotation when preparing a talk. The automatic "Namesakeing" feature, (recall I copied, Ctrl-drag, not moved entries), gets me back to the original entries: I can always understand the context in which each author developed the point.

I insert my comments in green. Using Enforce Color (Ctrl E) facilitates the insertion of my comments without a lot of menu clicking.

david
Staff

Post by david » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:32 pm

Not trivial at all Hal. Thanks for the suggestion.

I must confess, I use the same principle of copying stuff and namesaking to the original context, but I missed the trick of colouring each source. How simple. And how powerful.
David Tebbutt

wernst
Registered member

Post by wernst » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:50 pm

Using colors to introduce a "4th dimension" to entries in brainstorm is a good idea, and one that I would be using more if it didn't require a million mouse clicks for each entry. (OK, I'm exaggerating, but only slightly.)

Pre-coloring entries as I copy and paste them in is a pretty good idea I'll have to try out.

-Warr

david
Staff

Post by david » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:38 am

Criticism accepted. We'd love to introduce a mini-palette. It's high on the list but it won't be in the next release. Sorry.

'Enforce colour' is worth a look if you've not used it.
David Tebbutt

wernst
Registered member

Post by wernst » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:05 am

Yeah, this thread encouraged me to investigate Enforce Color, and it's not a bad way to go.

It seems to me I *COULD* have a list in the model where each entry is a different color, and named as such. Then I could display that list in a split-screen, and then use that list, along with Enforce Color, to basically have an impromptu color pallete, usefull for tagging things after the fact.

Hmmmmm....

-Warr

david
Staff

Post by david » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:24 am

Be interested to see how you get on.

It sounds quicker than the colour dialogue.

Lemme think...

... did you know you can get to the colour dialogue for an entry by pressing ALT+Enter? That might save you some time.
David Tebbutt

saim786
Registered member

Re: Use of color to indicate citation

Post by saim786 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:11 am

hello admin nice forum . i am a new user and i will be actively participating .. :cool:
SAIM..:)