expand/collapse

Need help? Can't find the answers elsewhere? Ask away...

Moderators: david, OG, Galen

jemonic
Registered member

expand/collapse

Post by jemonic » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:52 pm

I read excellent things about brainstorm and am trying it out with some academic projects. One thing confusing me is that it does not seem possible to expand and collapse the various lists. It seems the only way to see them is from the aerial view when I then see a summary of everything in the document. Is there a way around this?

Thanks,
Jeremy

david
Staff

Post by david » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:35 pm

If you're looking for an outline style way of working, it's not part of BrainStorm. So you're not missing anything. Focus is on one topic/list at a time apart from, as you say, aerial view.

Some people open multiple windows on the same model. This would go some way towards what you're looking for (Split window in the Windows menu). You can have as many windows open on different parts of the model as you like. I think the minimum width is 200 pixels, so there's a physical limit.
David Tebbutt

david
Staff

Post by david » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:22 am

I should have added the obvious comment that double clicking an entry icon makes it the heading and displays the next level of descendants in the body of the window.
David Tebbutt

alx
Insider

Post by alx » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:53 pm

Jeremy,

Brainstorm's logic is working in the focused view; Aerial View is the only way to get a full overview from within Brainstorm.

However, if you use a tool like Mind Manager, you can Write a Text File with Tabs to the Clipboard from Brainstorm and paste to it; this will give you an instant mind map of your Brainstorm model. If you don't have Mind Manager, the open source Freemind is equally capable: http://freemind.sourceforge.net/

After having put Brainstorm to creative work in many situations, I know that the program's strength often lies in its apparent limitations.

Notwithstanding, the lack of an expandable/collapsable Aerial View with word wrap has been pointed out by many users.

alx

HPG
Registered member

Post by HPG » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:20 pm

The export to FreeMind works a treat. Is there a way of importing a FreeMind map back into BrainStorm?

david
Staff

Post by david » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:10 pm

Yes. Select the root of the topic that you want to copy (select the central topic if you want everything) , press Ctrl+C to copy it to the clipboard.

If you have Magic paste on, it will appear in your model at the current location (ie immediately above the currently selected entry).

If not, simply use Smart paste (Shift-Ctrl-V)

In both cases, be sure to tick "Use indents to create descendants".
David Tebbutt

HPG
Registered member

Post by HPG » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:49 am

Thanks, David -- of course, now that you've shown me how, I'm wondering why I couldn't work it out on my own. Ah, well. That's a very useful combination, BrainStorm and FreeMind, isn't it?

david
Staff

Post by david » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:31 am

Certainly seems that way. (My guilty secret: I don't use it.)
David Tebbutt

alx
Insider

Post by alx » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:13 am

It also works for commercial Mind Mapping programs, i.e. Mind Manager, Mind Genius etc.

alx

jack111
Insider

Reminds me of

Post by jack111 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:20 am

This reminds me of a discussion I had with another user who just kept asking me over and over why wouldn't I use BrainStorm instead of Word or Excel to do a certain project. I had to admit that in fact Word and Excel would have done a better looking more structured job on my example; yet..................

It was just so easy to do it in BrainStorm without having to brush up on my Word and Excel skills. Hey why waste time on embellishment when you just want to think fast!

alx
Insider

Post by alx » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:23 am

Interestingly, I just noticed that I had mentioned Mind Manager in my original post above; so this is a disclaimer to note that I am not advertising MM or any other commercial program :-)

That said, apart for mind mapping programs, some outliners such as Notemap ( http://www.casesoft.com/notemap/ ) and Natara Bonsai ( http://www.natara.com/Bonsai/ ) can also exchange information with Brainstorm in the same way.

alx

david
Staff

Post by david » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:30 am

Thanks chaps, your comments are appreciated.
David Tebbutt