lost data... help!?

Need help? Can't find the answers elsewhere? Ask away...

Moderators: david, OG, Galen

Scott
Registered member

Re: Problem with clicking and draggng

Post by Scott » Thu May 04, 2006 12:38 pm

halh wrote:Scott,

I had similar problems unitl David created" http://www.brainstormsw.com/javaviewer/halh.html

Take a look. It solved my problems!
Yes, Hal, that was helpful. Many thanks.

I STILL find it difficult that I can't see the structure and work with it.

In order to see it, I have to do the Balloon thing, but then I can't actually move anything while looking at the Balloon thing, so I have to go back to the other form, and then I can't see what it is that I want to do. I have a very visual mind, and dyslexic, too, so I'm very creative, but have trouble with organization. THAT is what this program SHOULD be able to help me with, but the structure makes it really difficult for me to keep my mind focused on the work instead of how to get the damned program to move things where I want them. If you get my drift.

Or am I missing something else?

I keep wanting so much to use the program and yet each time I try to use it it seems to totally distract me from what I want to use it for, that I give up and...

Not wanting to put it down, but just trying to honestly present my impressions and problems.

- Scott

Scott
Registered member

Post by Scott » Thu May 04, 2006 12:56 pm

Looking once again at the little video clip, I can see the process of making Cars subsidiary to Reception, but I can't SEE it, so I have to trust that it is going where I want, but I don't, so I have to check, which breaks my stream of thought.

Maybe if I use the program a whole lot then it will become ingrained in my head what is going on, but I do not find it intuitive. I find it interupts my thought flow. I wonder if there is a way that one can have it work in both the Balloon mode and the normal mode. To be able to organize things and SEE where they are going (when the mind is in the organizing mode of thought) and then use the other mode (basic normal editing mode) when in the more linear thought form of drawing out a concept.

- Scott

(Please feel free to ask for clarification if anything I say doesn't make sense!)

david
Staff

Post by david » Thu May 04, 2006 12:58 pm

A small addendum. Marck is working hard on the next release. One of the things he has done is to increase the size of the 'drop zone'. More on that later.
David Tebbutt

Scott
Registered member

Post by Scott » Thu May 04, 2006 1:20 pm

Maybe what I need to do is start using a split window so I can see the results in the second window...

- Scott

david
Staff

Post by david » Thu May 04, 2006 1:45 pm

It may be that you'd be better off with a mind-mapping program or an outliner. Some people get in a muddle when they can see everything, some when they can't see everything.

BrainStorm is good at letting you capture stuff willy nilly, and sort it out later.

But if you don't trust it to deliver stuff to its destination, you might be right about having a second window open. Then you can drag and drop between the open windows and all is in the open.

You still won't be able to see the very broad context though. So maybe toggle one (or both) into aerial view periodically to navigate. A double click on an entry in aerial view drops you back to the normal view of the model at that point.

Remember you can also use search to navigate.

Here I go again, spouting the Help file...
David Tebbutt

Scott
Registered member

Post by Scott » Thu May 04, 2006 2:35 pm

david wrote: Here I go again, spouting the Help file...
They all say that. Must be sumthing in the water they drink! :roll: :D

- Scott

By the way, I also have FreeMind 0.8.0 which I've been playing with, but I don't see it as valuable for the things that I want to use BrainStorm for. I like it a lot, but it is a different tool. It is not structured enough for some things. It's great for - I can't believe I'm gonna say this... brainstorming - but not so much for the actual weaving of the pattern.

Maybe if you could, like, you know, provide some cake, and some eating thereof, and some not getting fat, and still having some cake and all...

Does that clarify it better?

Scott
Registered member

it's not about trust

Post by Scott » Thu May 04, 2006 5:30 pm

david wrote:But if you don't trust it to deliver stuff to its destination, you might be right about having a second window open. Then you can drag and drop between the open windows and all is in the open.
David, I think that you are not grasping what I'm trying to say. It is not at all about "trust." It's more about being self-evident or obvious or intuitive or all of those rolled up together.

You say that if I do this and do that then it will do this and then that. I have to learn this stuff and then I have to internalize it so that I know it without thinking, just the same way that my foot goes out to the clutch pedal when I come to a stop. It took a long time for my foot to learn that. On the other hand, turning the steering wheel to the left and having the car go that way is much more intuitive. I don't have to trust it, it is obvious as well as intuitive, and there is feedback, visual and inertial.

That is why I have a problem. I want - somehow - for it to be more intuitive and perhaps have some feedback so my subconscious mind knows what is happening is what I want to happen, while my conscious mind can stay focused on the thought train and not get derailed.

I'm not saying that I know how to do this, mind you. I'm just saying that this is what I want (along with the cake, don't forget the cake!)... Okay?

:wink:

- Scott

Also, the part about having two windows open was not to drag and drop between them, but rather to have one in the Balloon mode for visual feedback, while working in the other. It's that feedback thing that I guess I need.

david
Staff

Post by david » Sat May 06, 2006 5:51 pm

What can I say?

Except you can get a ton of value out of BrainStorm with just Enter, arrow keys, Home and End.

Drag/Drop, Shift/Drag/Drop give you loads more.

Mark, Throw, Retrieve and Jump give you even more.

That's thirteen.

Why intuitive? Depends on key orientation: when we set Home and End for promote/demote, they were above each other on the standard keyboard. Home moves an entry to the heading, End moves the heading to the body.

Left/right arrows take you round the chain of namesakes in either direction.

Throw, Retrieve, Mark and Jump are Ctrl + T, R, M, J respectively.

I accept they're not intuitive if you don't know them. Using a clutch is not intuitive either. But, by heck, it's not much to learn and it's not difficult.
David Tebbutt

Scott
Registered member

Post by Scott » Sun May 07, 2006 4:59 pm

Excellent points all, David, but you FORGOT THE CAKE!!!

- Scott :lol:

david
Staff

Post by david » Sun May 07, 2006 6:56 pm

Put it down to jetlag. I'm 8 hours adrift righ now.
David Tebbutt