Anyone still using Brainstorm?

Need help? Can't find the answers elsewhere? Ask away...

Moderators: david, OG, Galen

Jim
Registered member

Post by Jim » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:50 am

After going through all the mindmap programs, I still come back to Brainstorm!

david
Staff

Just like Aderoy, plus ...

Post by david » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:57 am

Hi. I've been on holiday and unable to contribute.

I use BrainStorm daily (not surprising since I wrote the original almost 30 years ago) and I use it mainly in the same way as the previous respondent. The Magic Launch (Alt+L) is fantastically useful.

Once I have pasted (using Magic paste, of course) the snippets I need into BrainStorm, I then organise my material by creating a number of topic names on the home page and then splitting the screen into a pane per topic, either marking or throwing or, more usually, dragging and dropping the collected material into the topic panes.

I could have used the multiple mark facility - one per pane, giving six categories - normal mark plus the other five - but I keep forgetting to.

It's easy enough: mark the extra 5 by using Alt 1 to 5 and throw by using Ctrl 1 to 5. (The other is the regular Ctrl + m and Ctrl + t.) I'll probably stick the number in the topic name to remind myself of which is which.

The marks are saved when you close the model. (Which is what you need.)

The other thing I use a lot is Write (to clipboard): either selected entries and their descendants - a topic (from the above example) maybe - or a selection from the current pane.

If you're interested, I'm a writer, a trainer and a magazine editor and I use it when preparing for, and managing, all three activities.
David Tebbutt

honwahp
Registered member

Post by honwahp » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:32 am

Brainstorm is very simple and very powerful. I enjoy using it a lot and it is one of my most favourite pieces of software.

isinger
Registered member

Post by isinger » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:35 pm

I also use Brainstorm just about every day, and have done so for about 10 years. It is an enduring masterpiece. (Thanks, David!)

david
Staff

:-)

Post by david » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:27 am

Thanks Ira. ( I'm using it right now, to identify good news stories for http://www.blueandgreentomorrow.com/ )
I trawl thousands of items from many aggregate sources, copying their URLs and (if they're not self-evident) the article titles. Magic paste is on in the background. Any that look interesting get an Alt-L so I can read the original.
David Tebbutt

William
Registered member

Post by William » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:19 pm

When will the Brainstorm app be available for the iPad? Oh yeah, right, sorry...

Yes, still very much using Brainstorm!