USB sticks and relative paths

Need help? Can't find the answers elsewhere? Ask away...

Moderators: david, OG, Galen

Rick Krause
Registered member

USB sticks and relative paths

Post by Rick Krause » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:36 pm

David,

Quoting the Help file:
"If you have BrainStorm installed on a memory stick and you use it on different machines: BrainStorm will treat a ./ (dot slash) in front of a filename as a substitute for the current executable path (ie where BrainStorm runs from). It doesn't then matter what drive letter the host machine assigns to your memory stick."

I'm having a great time carrying BrainStorm with me on a USB drive. There is one problem, however, that I've been unable to solve. I have not been able to access (launch) various files on the flash drive using relative paths (e.g., \Docs\632\report.txt). Being able to access only files that reside in my BrainStorm directory is not very useful. Am I missing something? If this capability is not available, is it something that could be implemented in a future version? Please?

Thanks,
Rick

david
Staff

Relative paths

Post by david » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:02 pm

We had to do a lot of hard thinking around this issue. We decided that the one path we could guarantee to pick up would be the BrainStorm execute path, so we took it from there.

I guess if you installed BrainStorm to the root of your thumbdrive, you could kind of achieve what you want....

Or put it where you're most likely to be getting documents from?

I'll forward a link to this thread to Marck, in case he's not reading the forum at the moment. If he has any thoughts (he did program it after all) then I'm sure he'll add them.
David Tebbutt