Drag and drop

Need help? Can't find the answers elsewhere? Ask away...

Moderators: david, OG, Galen

halh
Registered member

Drag and drop

Post by halh » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:30 pm

I've watched the film about four times now, on the section showing this mode of promoting or demoting items. (minutes 8-10). When I do this, the icons change color but nothing transfers. Is there a subtlety I'm missing? I can't seem to drag across split windows either.

david
Staff

Drag and drop

Post by david » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:03 am

the icons change color but nothing transfers. Is there a subtlety I'm missing? I can't seem to drag across split windows either.
I suspect this is either a pointer positioning or a mouse/touchpad issue.

Select entries by clicking on their icons (in the sequence you'd like the entryies dropped, as it happens).

Drag them by holding down the left mouse button.

If you are shift-dragging then you must release the mouse button before the shift key. This is because, as the mouse button is released, BrainStorm asks itself "is the shift key down?"

New emphasis: The tip of the mouse pointer must be within the boundaries of the destination entry icon when you release.

I hope this helps. I'd be very interested to know if it doesn't.
Last edited by david on Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Tebbutt

david
Staff

Post by david » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:09 am

I've removed most of the conversation that ensued because this mini-movie helped halh see where he was going wrong:

http://www.brainstormsw.com/javaviewer/halh.html

It shows dragging and dropping in detail. It's a 306k Flash file.

All's well now.
Last edited by david on Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
David Tebbutt

david
Staff

Post by david » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:18 am

In fact, I just recevied a private email from halh:
The GOOD NEWS

Your mini-demo AND VOICE-OVER solved the problem. "Drag to the MIDDLE of the icon. I was dragging until the "note" covered the receiving icon or on top of it. I never would have picked this up watching the demo; you would have seen it immediately if we could have shared screens.

It works EVERY TIME.

Thank you for your patience and persistance.
David Tebbutt

Nigel Chippindale
Insider

Shift-Drag and Drop

Post by Nigel Chippindale » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:23 am

I can't get the shift-drag approach to work as a way of subordinating an item to another item. It was working fine, but now nothing happens. Also, when I try Ctrl-T to throw the item, it ends up above the other one, not subordinate to it.

I've reviewed the demo to check that I'm doing it right. I'm shift-dragging the icon to the middle of the "receiving" icon and I'm releasing the mouse button before the shift key. Still it just doesn't do anything.

I've tried this on a couple of models with no better results.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Nigel C

david
Staff

Post by david » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:26 am

The shift/drag/drop failure is a mystery. If you can supply a recipe, I'll take a look. (Is your file confidential?) My personal email is david at brainstormsw dot com, if you want to get in touch directly.

Throw is a different matter - this always throws to the mark, so the marked entry would already need to be subordinate. It always throws to the entry above the mark.

Throw a copy (Shift+Ctrl+T) is known not to work when Palm Desktop is running. This is a bug in the Palm software, not BrainStorm. But I don't think this is your issue.
David Tebbutt

david
Staff

Post by david » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:59 am

Since the above, we have exchanged emails.

The problem happens on one machine, but not on another. Same user.

This suggests a shift key problem more than anything else. We're still investigating...
David Tebbutt

david
Staff

Post by david » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:50 pm

After many email exchanges, we have to conclude that the issue is with a particular machine/software combination. We have provided a keystroke/mouse action checker to the user and all appears to work the way it should. Yet the problem persists.

The user has tried it on their notebook machine and their office desktop and BrainStorm works fine on both.

I have just offered these alternatives to shift/drag/drop:
Cut and paste. (Remember ctrl+z will undo accidents.)

Mark the destination entry and throw the currently selected entry(ies)
to it.

Split the window and have source displayed in one and destination in
the other and drag/drop or cut/paste between them.
David Tebbutt

david
Staff

Post by david » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:33 am

Seems as if one of the customer's dlls was incompatible with BrainStorm.

We don't know why. It's not happened to anyone else. And we run several machines running various flavours of Windows and we couldn't replicate the problem.

The important thing is that Nigel (the customer) discovered that if he installed BrainStorm to an 'alternate location' (one of the installer options), the problem goes away.

I'm pretty certain (and Marck's not around yet) that this is because we install our copies of the dlls to the 'alternate location', along with all the other BrainStorm files.

If I learn anything else, I'll let you know.
David Tebbutt

david
Staff

Post by david » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:55 am

Well, we've ruled out the dlls and we're utterly mystified.

Since no-one else has had this problem and since the problem can be sidestepped by installing BrainStorm to an 'alternative location', I think we'll close this topic.
David Tebbutt